Mar 31, 2010

Zachary was taken to Sick Kids around 8.30pm, about the same time I was being taken to my postpartum room. Ryan and my parents went to see him, while I waited for a porter (someone to wheel me through the tunnel from one hospital to the other). I finally arrived around 9, and it was so good to see him again. He looked so peaceful in his little incubator, but it was so hard not to hold him. I did have a chance to attempt to feed him that night. A little awkward since he had to stay on his stomach and lie on a pillow, but still good to have him close to me. We stay until about 1 am, then made our way back to Mt Sinai. That in itself was an adventure since no one knew how to get us back. I was still in my hospital gown and it was freezing cold outside, but they didn't have a porter to take us through the tunnel. My whole stay (which was only until the next morning) was a little weird, so I was very glad that I was able to just check out and go be with Zachary.
His surgery was scheduled for the next morning. And at 11 am we were watching our little guy being wheeled down the hall to the OR.
The surgery took about 3 1/2 hours. We were able to see him soon after, but no one else was able to see him. My poor mother in law came just after he was taken and had to wait until he was out of recovery...almost 6 hours later. The surgery went very well. He was 7 10 at birth, but had a nice big belly. This was actually a big blessing because they didn't have to do a skin graft and had extra skin to leave on top of the incision to help with the healing.
To date he has not developed hydrocephalus, but will continue to have head ultrasounds to monitor the fluid levels.
The next day we had a small family reunion. His two big brothers were coming to visit! :)  It was so wonderful to see them again.  They both looked so grown up since I last saw them.  If felt nice to have all my boys together.
On the Tuesday, we were given our own room.  That was fantastic!! I could actually stay with him. 
He was in the hospital for 11 days.  So much happened during that time and so much of it feels like a blur.  We had originally been told he would be there for a least 2 weeks, so we were elated to bring him home early.
Life at home has been wonderful so far.  I was very blessed and spoiled to have my Mom with me. She had taken a 6 week leave of absence from work to help out.  While she did laundry and made supper, I was able to figure out life with three.  I can never thank her enough for the sacrifice she made.
Zachary is a wonderful new born. He eats well, sleeps well and is generally content.  That in itself makes life easier.
Right now we are waiting for our Apr 14th appointment to find out when he can go on his back.  Some have been surprised he hasn't yet, but neurology told us to wait until that date to re-evaluate.
He is the perfect addition to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment