Jun 14, 2011

If I were a crier...

There would have been water works.
At our last physio appointment, I brought up the possibility of trying a walker for Zachary. It was on her list of things to do and wanted to introduce it the following week. Well the following week came and went and there was no physio, as Zachary came down with tonsilitis.
That was a long week to wait, but Monday came around I was ready to see what he could do. 
He was not happy with the arrangement at first, but after two lengths of the room he finally became curious about this contraption that I kept hovering behind him. And then on the third walk he finally took hold of the handles and away he went! That lead to him doing 3 lengths all on his own. And yes, I felt my eyes fill up with tears. I was so proud of him, just even the fact that as much as he resisted holding those handles, he discovered a taste of freedom.
Our lead up to Monday was a fun evening out to ribfest...mmmm so good. Amongst the food, friends and carnival rides, Zachary had another breakthrough. We have been trying so hard to have him walk only holding onto one hand, boy does he ever resist! But during our evening out, almost 80% of the time he toddled around only with one hand!!! Even on the playground, up a bridge and down a bridge (I thought that was a big deal :)).
It is still not something he does all the time, but it's steps in the right direction.
He even showed off on Monday as we walked down the hall to our physio room.

I am so proud of our little guy and am happy living in this moment, not wanting to always wish for what the future holds. To soak up all that he has accomplished so far. Spina Bifida is a whole lot of hurry up and wait and right now I want to take in the wait.

1 comment: